December 9, 2023, the Caring for Young Minds Non-Profit Organization will host its inaugural all-day Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Experience to include a National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Step Show. The event is designed to highlight fraternities and sororities of the nine Greek Lettered organizations within the NPHC through traditional step show performances.
Click on the category below for details if you are interested in having your sorority or fraternity participate in the Step Show.
- On December 9, 2023 the Caring for Young Minds Non-Profit Organization will host its inaugural all-day Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU) Experience to include a National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC) Step Show. The event is designed to highlight fraternities and sororities of the Nine Greek Lettered organizations within the NPHC through traditional step show performances. Should your NPHC organization be interested, please review the details below and submit the appropriate information and forms by the stated deadlines.
- The show will be held at Milford Mill Academy, located at 3800 Washington Ave, Windsor Mill, MD 21233 and will begin promptly at 1:00 PM. All performances will have no more than 15 minutes for their performance. This includes set up and break down.
- The following is due by November 1, 2023 at 11:59 PM
- Step show team registration form
- Signed agreement
- $150.00 Entry Fee
- W-9 form
- Step Show Entry Fee Agreement
- The following is due by November 21, 2023:
- The team information and detailed performance sheet
- All music and video (must be completely edited).
- All paperwork and technical information can be mailed to Caring for Young Minds P.O. Box 47336 Windsor Mill, 21244 or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All teams will be notified via email by November 28, 2023 of acceptance or declination to perform at the step show.
- A representative of the organization must be present/available at the step show meeting to be held on December 2, 2023. (Additional details will be provided).
Prizes and Awards
- Prizes are to be awarded as follows:
- 1stPlace sorority/fraternity/organization- $2000.00
- 2ndPlace sorority/fraternity/organization- $1000.00
- 3rd Place sorority/fraternity/organization – $500.00
In order for a fraternity/sorority to be awarded prize money, a W-9 form must be turned in with your application (if needed, a substitute one has been attached to this packet for your convenience).
Rules and Regulations
- The step show will take place on Saturday, December 9, 2023 at 1 p.m. The entire step team must arrive by 11:30 a.m. and stay until the end of the If not, they will be disqualified.
- No more than 15 steppers (including helpers) are allowed to
- All steppers and helpers on the list are required to sit in the reserved section only.
- Each team will be given a set time for when they may leave their seats to prepare for the
- Each team is asked to perform no more than 15 minutes, which includes intro video, entrance and exit (Points will be automatically deducted once a team goes over 15 minutes).
- If a team member is found to be abhorrently unsportsmanlike (*e.g., causing a disruption to the production), the team will be
- Members of your organizations other than those specified to perform may not be on stage at any (Points will be automatically deducted). Anyone caught attempting to sneak persons, drugs or other contraband into the show will cause their team to be automatically forfeited from the competition.
- No sexual or explicit acts will be (This includes gyrating and twerking)
- Avoid excessive profanity in words or music during Must use clean version of any music used.
- Oils and other liquids may not be used during the performance as this presents a safety hazard on
- The use of fog lights is
- Fire may not be used on
- Glitter may not be used at any
- All props and special requirements must be approved before the night of the
- Any special lighting equipment wanted by team (e.g., color lighting), must be provided by the
- A representative must attend the step show meeting on Saturday, December 2, 2023. Any team that is not represented the December 2, meeting will not be allowed to perform and will automatically forfeit.
- All teams must check in by 11:30 a.m. on the day of the show. A drawing of numbers will initiate the order of competition and will be assigned during the step show meeting prior to the show (December 2, 2023).
- Each team must have all music cued on one USB with your group’s name clearly stated on the file.
- The step team registration form, signed agreement, $150.00 entry fee deposit, W-9, Step Show Entry Fee, and Deposit Agreement is due by November 1, 2021 (11:59 pm). Applications can be mailed to (address) or emailed to Tosha Deal, email@example.com.
- Winning step teams will receive and accept prize money in the form of a check. The check will be made payable to the organization.
- The step team/organization represents by signature below that they are authorized to enter into this performance agreement and consent to pictures and filming.
- The step team assumes all risks in its performance of all activities and is responsible for all actions whatsoever committed by our team that may cause harm or injury to persons or property because of their performance as authorized by this agreement.
- The Caring for Young Minds Organization will not be held responsible/ liable for the actions of the contestants.
Teams will be judged on the following categories for a total of 100 points:
- Showmanship (20 points) -Enthusiasm, crowd involvement,
- Precision (20 points) – Accuracy and coordination of moves
- Appearance (10 points)-Coordinated outfits and thoughtful clothing choices
- Originality (10 points)– Incorporating never before seen moves or styles
- Difficulty (10 points) – Physical difficulty, move complexity, member-to-member interaction complexity,
- Creativity (10 points) – Overall theme of performance was creative
- Vocal Clarity (5 points)– Performance was easily heard and understood
- Sportsmanship (5 points)- Upholding competitive respect and proper conduct throughout the duration of the performance
- Overall Performance (5 points) – An overall rating of the performance
- Time Limit (5 points) – Adherence to the time regulations
- Judges will also take into consideration the rules and regulations when deciding final points. Judges will deduct 5 points in the organizations’ overall score for each violation.
- In the case that a team performs beyond the 15-minute time limit, points will be deducted from the total score as follows:
1-3 minutes over = 2 points
2-5 minutes over = 3 points
5+ minutes over = all time points will be lost (team receives a 0 for time)
- All judges’ scores will be averaged. The first-place organization will be the team with the highest total. The second-place organization will be the team with the second highest total. The third-place organization will be the team with the third highest total. In the event of a tie for second place, judges will vote to decide second place (> 3 votes) and third place will be awarded to the team with < 2 votes. In the event of a tie for third place, judges will vote to decide third place (> 3 votes).
Music and Video
Music and Videos must be submitted on December 2, 2023 at the step show meeting. This should consist of the following materials:
- Pre-Arranged Music (.mp3) on a flash Drive
- Video on a flash drive
Please submit/email to the following:
Attention: Lawrence William
P.O. Box 47336
Windsor Mill, 21244